approximate birthdate: 8-1-96
rear leg tripod
1. When did you notice the lump, what was the size and where was it located, was it low on the leg or higher - closer to your cat's body We (wife and I) noticed it just prior to diagnosis. It was maybe 3/4 X 1 1/2 X 3/8 inches high. It was mid thigh.
2. When was kitty last vaccinated 1-24-02
3. How long did you wait to
have the lump removed Lump
removed 10-16-03; Right rear leg removed 11-20-03
4. Was this your cat's first surgery for VAS Yes
5. Did you consult with a specialist or oncologist? No
6. Who removed the lump (regular
vet or surgeon) Regular
7. How long did your cat stay at the vet's after surgery About 30 hours
8. Did you do anything special to prepare for your kitty's homecoming No
9. Did your cat have any post-operative problems? He needed a compress for bleeding before we brought him home. The second morning post surgery he appeared to be in pain. I gave him one oral dose of morphine and he seemed comfortable and didn't need anything more for pain.
10. What was your cat's adjustment period like: He slept on a towel in the corner of the room for a few days. He didn't need any help using his cat box on the other side. He started eating slowly and gradually his appetite increased. After about a week he seemed fully recovered. Without one leg, the maximum height he could jump to was reduced to about four feet.
11. How is your kitty now?
We noticed a new lump
in January about one inch above the incision. It was confirmed
as fibrosarcoma 3-16-04. He is gradually becomming less active
and his appetite recently decreased.
12. Please add any other information that you think would be helpful to future tripod owners or anything else that you'd like to tell people about your kitty. From what I've learned about VAS and amputation recovery, I would most likely have had his leg removed immediately after the first diagnosis. He has very long fur, which made the initial lump difficult to notice.